Hot Air Balloons in Phoenix

Frightening to Horses

Beautiful and fun… I suppose, but not to me because I have to deal with the havoc they cause on the ground. Horses are terrified of hot air balloons, especially in such huge numbers. My horse has been pacing the fence for two days now after a billion hot air balloons filled the sky on Sunday. She has two injuries where she crashed into the fence while running trying to get away from these boogie men in the sky.

I sure would like to see restrictions on where these monstrosities can occupy the sky. Like maybe the wide open desolate desert that surrounds Phoenix?

The Thunderbird Classic comes to Phoenix every year, but we see hot air balloons drifting right over our arena all the time, especially this time of year.  The horses get used to them after awhile, but until then, all we can do is hope the injuries are nominal.

Special thanks to my husband for these amazing photos.

About these ads

amy elizabeth, writer, author. Lives in the northeastern reaches of the Sonoran Desert on a small hobby farm raising Ornamental Bantam Chicks and Laying hens.
This entry was posted in All The Ranch Doin"s and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Hot Air Balloons in Phoenix

They are amazing but I was sorry to hear that your horse was injured because of them :(

2. Cindi says:

They are gorgeous and the photos are fantastic but the terror they cause your horses is horrible. I know my dogs used to go nuts when they were around and they would almost scrape the top of our roof. I feel for you and your animals and hope it’s a short balloon season or they go further out.

3. I would want to shoot them down….how scary for any animal on the ground!

I haven’t seen the balloons in a few years. They sure have changed become more complex. I remember them going over our house and the dogs going nuts . . . I can just imagine horses. I’d hate to think of a rider in the desert getting hurt because of a scared horse. Not sure there’s an answer.

5. cowgirliz says:

Some of those balloons look more like they belong in a Macy’s Parade.
    There used to be a festival that coincided with a horse show I used to attend (actually the festival and show may still coincide, I just don’t do that circuit any more)… the balloons weren’t too bad. It was the fireworks going off while warming the youngsters up for their futurity goes that made life a bit more interesting.

6. kford2007 says:

The pictures are fantastic and the balloons are beautiful. I didn’t know they had so many in different styles and shapes. Is it the sound or the visuals that scare the horses?

I had one make an emergency landing next to my truck at a stop light a few years back. The entire balloon draped over my truck! OMG

• kford2007 says:

I know I shouldn’t laugh, but that’s a funny picture in my mind. OMG! LOL. How did you get out? Were the passengers in the balloon ok? I hope you didn’t have any of your horses with you at the time.

Poor things, your horses. I can’t imagine what they think. I has to be frightening. How is your sweet baby after getting her legs caught?

The people were fine, they obviously were pros. They had the balloon off my truck (and two others) in about 2 minutes and seemed to have everything under control. Yeah, it’s funny now!

Jeez there are so many~no wonder they are frightened. One time one almost hit our house as it tried to zoom over our 2 story house. we were eating in the dining room and heard it then saw it through the high windows by our ceiling~it sounded like Darth Vader was landing on our roof. it barely missed the house. with the horse’s sensitive hearing it is no wonder they are frightened.

grrrrrr…. :)

10. Wow! I love all the bright colors! :-)