Three Easy Ways to Peel a Hard Boiled Egg

I have never been a fan of peeling a hard boiled egg. I’m not sure why, but in comparison to shelf eggs, my own farm eggs seem especially difficult to peel. I’ve done a little research on the the different ways to peel an egg, try them all and see which one works best for you.
Remember, like everything else, practice makes perfect!

Boil and Roll
Cook eggs and cool in cold water. Crack the egg shell at each end by tapping the egg on a hard surface. Be sure to crush the *air pocket at the large end of the egg. Place the egg on its side on the counter and roll it forward one full turn keeping the palm of your hand firmly down on the top of the egg. Place the egg into a bowl of warm water. The entire shell will slip right off.

Teaspoon [my favorite]
Using the side of a teaspoon, start in the middle of the egg and tap it all the way around to the other side breaking the shell as you go. Peel off a little of the shell and membrane anyplace where the shell has been compromised, just enough to gently insert a teaspoon. With the bowl of the spoon facing the egg, run the spoon around the curve of the egg, the shell will easily come off and the egg will pop right out.

I saved the best for last…

Blow It!

Or… you can beat it to death until the shell is in a gazillion pieces, throw a fit trying to get the shell off, get impatient, and end up with an egg the size of a walnut.  What… did you think I didn’t know how that works? 🙂

* Air pocket? https://tbnranch.com/2011/11/07/good-egg-or-bad/

amy elizabeth, writer, author. Lives in the northeastern reaches of the Sonoran Desert on a small hobby farm. Raises laying hens.
This entry was posted in Managing the Flock and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Three Easy Ways to Peel a Hard Boiled Egg

Good! Glad to hear!

2. Chancy, Mumsy and Crew says:

I tried using the spoon on boiled eggs today…it worked great!! Thanks for sharing that method. Hugs

Seems the blowing method is the least favorite here! I don’t think it would bother me as long as they were rinsed off, but that’s just me. The teaspoon way is really easy, that’s the one I use.

4. Mumsy says:

I have always used the boil and roll but think I will try the teaspoon the next time I boil eggs. I guess I could blow them out of the shell if no one knew I did that…but then I would not want to eat eggs that someone blew out of the shell. So I guess I will stick to my tried and true method or give yours a shot. Hugs

Maybe you’re right, my eggs are near impossible to peel.

6. 2browndawgs says:

I don’t think I would want an egg someone else blew on. 😀

I use the first method. But then again we only get store bought eggs and I think the fresher, the more difficult to peel.

Yeah… please share the outcome! 🙂

8. I might have to try that blow method. It looks fun.

How about we save that method for ourselves?

I remember once about third grade I learned about blowing raw eggs to get the shells to decorate. Mine went okay until I saw what was coming out and I got so grossed out I wouldn’t go near them for a long time. My mom just laughed. I like the crack and roll method although I do stuck a stubborn one under a cold faucet to get any odd bits and pieces off.
    I wonder, who would want to eat that egg he just blew on.