Stop and Smell the Roses

For the past six months or so, I’ve been hindered by a series of injuries that are all related to overworking. So much for the saying, “Hard work never hurt anybody!” When young, I was criticized for being lazy, now that I’m kinda sorta middle aged, I’m being told to ease up on my work load – or else.  Unfortunately my career job is a tough one, heavy lifting is unavoidable, and my physical capabilities are pushed to the max all day.  The good news is, I only work three days a week now, so I’ve ample time to relax, or heal  before I beat myself up all over again.  At least that was the plan, and it would work… but what about the ranch chores? I’ve been trying to find help, but that hasn’t been an easy task. So far, I’m still on my own.  But, for that very reason, change has been forced upon me… and with a surprising result.

Everybody who knows me would unanimously agree that I don’t do anything  half-assed.  My job, my home, and my life in every respect are in order no matter what. This is an exhausting compulsion that I don’t really understand. So…  I blame my Mother for planting that chores before playtime seed way to deep.    For some crazy reason I’ve always  felt guilty for enjoying myself when there’s unfinished work to be done. I guess that was fine when I could actually do it, but now that I can’t, it doesn’t seem to bother me at all!  If only I knew years ago that an excuse could free me from my woes of perfection, I would have hurt myself a long time ago!

What does all this mean? Well, the barn chores are done but maybe not perfectly, so what! The lawn is cut, but not edged, who cares! The property isn’t raked with perfect lines in the sand, to bad!

I’ve had to pay a rather steep price to justify slacking off, but it’s taught me that having time to enjoy life is indeed…   priceless.

This entry was posted in All The Ranch Doin"s and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Stop and Smell the Roses

You are soooo right!

Add relaxation and healing to your daily list of things to do!! Then your relaxation and healing IS the accomplishment it needs to be. When my son was an infant I would get frustrated that I ‘got nothing done’ on some days. Suddenly I realized I needed to put “cuddle the baby, feed the baby, talk to the baby, rock the baby’ on my list!

May we both enjoy our new journey!

4. What a great photo! Sad to say, pain is becoming a motivator in my life too. Now, I’m making different choices for health. Absolutely nothing to feel guilty about. There are poems out there about dancing more, and wearing purple, and enjoying the journey….

5. Hmmm . . . that seed was planted pretty deeply in me too! 😉

6. Chancy, Mumsy and Crew says:

Oh, we think you have just realized that enjoying life and what you do is what is really important. What a relief It is when we realize that it is just fine if everything looks nice but it does not have to be what we think is perfect. Relax and keep enjoying your life and the smell of the roses. We are hoping you are feeling much better very soon. Hugs and nose kisses.

Horses will always choose to be lazy, I should have been learning from them! Thanks

I like what Bassas Blog said about adjusting to a new phase in your life. good advice.
    I love the horse with the roses. They know when to take a break don’t they>

9. Bongo says:

That stuff will still be there tomorrow and you can do it – or not. Work is good, but not overwork. Life’s too short and some of the little time we have needs to be used to enjoy. I love the pic of the horse smelling the roses.

Good to hear this Amy Elizabeth but don’t think of it as “slacking off” – you are adjusting to a new phase in your life, part of which is accepting you can’t do everything. Look after yourself.