Admitting Defeat

Too Young to be Old, Too Old to Start Over

I’ve made a living in one specialized field my entire working career, and today life as I know it has come to a screeching halt.

An MRI revealed a job related lumbar spine & disk injury from years of overwork and excess lifting.  Prognosis is favorable with six to eight weeks of rehab therapy,  but there will need to be critical lifestyle changes.

I’ve lost the battle after 36 years in my profession, and I can’t even begin to explain how difficult it is to let go of who I am this late in life. There are changes in my future and there will be sacrifices indeed. For now, just one day at a time.

~

Life is an obstacle course of challenges, tests, and choices, it’s how we accept them all that strengthens our character.   – amy elizabeth

This entry was posted in amy elizabeth, Writer and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Admitting Defeat

1. pixilated2 says:

Back injuries are the worst pain, but the good thing is that you do get better. Be careful, do what the Dr. recommends, and soon enough you will be on the mend. (I did another little hike today and my back is fine 🙂 ) I am sorry about your job though. That had to hurt too… ~ Lynda

I am so sorry to hear this. One day at a time xx

Good advice, thank you.

4. Sorry to hear about the medically forced changes. Whatever it takes, Don’t Get Discouraged.

Oh honey, I am sorry to hear of this. I wish you well in your rehab. Is there a way to continue without you personally doing the lifting, etc? I know your heart and soul truly soar when you are doing what you so love……Don’t know what your part-time job is, but I am guessing that the Arizona Farm Bureau (office in Gilbert) could REALLY use you as either an advocate, trainer, teacher, mentor, lobbyist…..oh gosh….know that you are IN my prayers…Ch-ch-ch-changes…

6. Bonnie says:

Something amazing will come out of this – change is good, even when it’s a bit scary. Hang in there!

7. Life is all about change. You can walk away knowing you did an excellent job for 35 years (you are truly the best) and now its time to find your next path. All I know is you’ll be amazing wherever you land. 🙂

8. OhioYarnFarmer says:

Wow. I don’t want to smother you in platitudes or cliches, so instead I’ll wish you well in your recovery. From what little I’ve seen of you here, I’m betting you’re a pretty resourceful person. You’ll find your way through this.

9. Shary Hover says:

So sorry to hear about your forced medical leave. I hope you’ll be able to find a way to keep doing the work you love in a different capacity.

When one door closes another opens and knowing you it will be a big swinging door with lots of action.