Phoenix Mountain Rescues, Heat vs Hikers

The last two weeks in Phoenix, Arizona, the temperatures have been between 105 to 112 in the shade. But that doesn’t stop hikers, every year heat exhaustion, heat stroke, twisted ankles, blown knees, and even death will call our mountain rescuers to duty.

The statistics are startling, but this year alone the numbers of mountain rescues could be as high as 200 or more.

Who does these mountain rescues and what is involved? Watch this short video…

Recent Mountain Rescues in the News

Once again, another mystery in the treacherous Superstition Mountains east of the Valley. Sunday a man went hiking at 6:30 AM and never came home. Read Article

A few days before, a hiker was rescued and air lifted by helicopter from Camelback Mountain. Read Article about this difficult rescue.

In March, firefighters responded to four rescues on Valley mountains in just one day. One of which a hiker died after collapsing on Piestewa Peak in North Phoenix.

amy elizabeth, writer, author. Lives in the northeastern reaches of the Sonoran Desert on a small hobby farm. Raises laying hens.
This entry was posted in Arizona Living, In the News and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Phoenix Mountain Rescues, Heat vs Hikers

I can’t believe that people risk their lives and the lives of others by being so reckless.

2. Shary Hover says:

Sometimes I get teased about taking extra water and snacks with me on a short hike, but if something happens and I get stuck or (heaven forbid) lost, I know I’ll have a little more time thanks to my provisions.

I get teased too on trail rides! But I’m always the gal that has EVERYTHING! Someday they all will be glad, it’s just a matter of time.

Many are volunteers! Bless them all!

4. Chancy and Mumsy says:

Bless all those who do the dangerous work of rescuing those who do not go prepared and consider the consequences of hiking in extreme weather conditions. Hugs

5. Sometimes I think having bad legs is a blessing. When we were at the Superstitions and in the 100’s, I took a (very short ) hike up to the base while Jen lay sick in the tent. By the time I arrived where I had wanted to go, a group of young hikers that had passed my site an hour earlier, had already tried to climb up the base and returned. The first thing upon arriving at the same place as their group, they came over and asked if I had any water (they didn’t bring any). I tossed them my liter unopened bottle and told them to head across the road over to the tourist gold mine a mile away where they should buy some water. As I left to return to my own camp ( as now I had no water), one girl started crying and yelling at her boyfriend that they could have died out there…and here they were, only a mile from beers, steaks and ice cold water! You’re right, be prepared even if you plan on a short hike.

Many rescues involve tourists who haven’t a clue how the heat can effect them. Something we all forget sometimes is how important it is to take water with us in the car. An hour can be an awful long time stranded on the side of the road when it’s 110 degrees.