The Fate of Puppies for Profit Stores

Pet rescue organizations for unwanted pets are taking over the retail puppy market. Petsmart and Petco are just two of the many pet businesses who do not sell puppies or kittens and encourage adoptions instead. They provide special pet adoption days for all kinds and all ages of dogs and cats who need a second chance.

For years now the public has been encouraged to adopt rescue dogs rather than support the puppies for profit breeders. The word is catching on, and it’s  beginning to fade out those ridiculously high priced puppies in the mall stores.

Read article, Malls Push Animal Adoption Centers Over Pet Stores, it’s about how rescue organizations and animal activists are successfully turning puppy stores into a thing of the past.

What About You? ( you can vote for each pet, click on ‘return to poll’)

(Results in 1 week)

This entry was posted in Companion Animals, In the News and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to The Fate of Puppies for Profit Stores

1. Pingback: Poll Results | TBN Ranch

2. Chancy and Mumsy says:

We are so happy that these places are going away. We hope to see the puppy mills all go away too.

3. Glad to hear this is gaining momentum. I found Lyra at the Humane Society when she was 4 years old, found Bastian as a 3 month old through a kitty rescue foundation. My life is much the richer for them.

4. Jo Bryant says:

we are seeing more of this here as well finally

5. rumpydog says:

Jen rescued each of us. We each crossed her path in a different way. I was running down a busy street and Jen thought she’d help me find my home, but no one claimed me. DeDe was living at the trash dump. June Buggie and his brother Bubba were found at Jen’s work by a co-worker.

6. Paws To Talk says:

Even though we both came from a reputable breeder, we are so happy that more animals are being rescued. In fact, one of our human sisters is getting ready to adopt a dog soon. We are excited to have a new furry member in the family.

Bella and DiDi

7. I am so pleased to hear this.

8. kford2007 says:

I two of my cats from the SPCA, one I found on the side of the road and nursed back to health, and the other was an advertised free kitten in a saltwater aquarium store. My beagle also came from the SPCA. My dalmatian came from a friend. I have a mutt that was my daughter’s and my australian shepherds came from rescues.

Oh my! You have lots of love in your home! I have one dog that was found by my boss running on the freeway ramp, she is my Timmi, a two year old cattle dog mix. However, I am guilty of buying my fancy little Brussels from a breeder. Bad me I guess.