Our Sad Farm Kitchen

It’s coming on nine years since we bought our little farm and ranch property.  I didn’t know then, but as time passes I realize just what a huge project we purchased.

Lot’s of repairs have been done, with priority given to the most important things like a 4 ton A/C unit, a new roof, garage siding, septic system, exterior paint, fencing, and etc, etc. These things are crucial  to the re-sale of a house, but beyond the curb appeal is still our 1980’s interior eyesore.

No matter how pretty the furniture or the freshly painted walls are, neither distract the attention from my butt ugly kitchen cabinets. It’s a toss up deciding which is worse, the spray painted cabinetry, the ten shades of dingy tan tile counter-top, or my stone-age dysfunctional appliances.  I chose the cabinets, and that’s the new nightmare project. Estimate for new cabinets and counter-top, $15,000, this extraordinary expense is definitely not going to happen. So, for the next who knows how long, the cabinets will be a do it yourself job.

This is part of our kitchen, there is actually more cabinets on the other side of the window. That’s a lot of ugly cabinets!

kitchen cabinets / before

We are a week into this horrific job, and I’m astonished by not only the shoddy craftsmanship of these cabinets, but also the crappy paint job from a previous owner. I mean really… some idiot actually spray painted right over the door hinges and shelf paper! Yes, there was contact paper lifting underneath the paint, unbelievable.

Here is the progress so far, 11 cabinets and 9 drawers to go. I’ll keep you posted on our progress!

kitchen cabinet/ after

Gallery | This entry was posted in All The Ranch Doin"s and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Our Sad Farm Kitchen

1. Oh the newly painted cabinets are lovely, looks so much better than before! 🙂

2. Looks like you’re doing a great job, love the color!

3. Frankly, I don’t see anything wrong with the before. The after is nice too. If you want to see ugly, you should see MY kitchen! (I’ll only mail you a photo in private! LOL!)

Ha ha! You wouldn’t say that if you could see them close up! I’m waiting for the pic…

• I’ve been thinking about painting my cabinets. They’re a medium dark brown. Part of them is formica and the doors are stained wood. Underneath them is brick. Not solid bricks, 1/4 inch slices of bricks on a black background. I couldn’t stand it so I painted them white which lightened up the room, but it’s still ugly. I don’t know what they were thinking!

That’s what I keep saying to myself… What were they thinking! lol I found an empty can of mushrooms as a support for the underside of my counter… OMG.

• LOL. Nice to know they were “green” minded people. I never would have thought mushrooms but whatever works! (Better mushrooms than an old can of tuna!)

4. Your kitchen is cute – I like the style of it and the green color you chose. I love the style of my kitchen when we bought the house but that is the only positive thing I can say, I knew it would need lots of work, I did not realize some problems along the way – 23 yrs later…we are still working on it. The cabinets are hand made, beautifully done and huge someone estimated they were made in the 20’s or 30’s – but it must have 50 coats of paint (the last two from us-because we have found nothing that would strip them)! Needless to say 2 yrs and counting till the house is paid off and new cabinets! We had yellow counters (blue trim) too and have since had them replaced. The flooring was from the 30’s – that was the first thing we replaced, 23 yrs later we need new flooring again. Always something…it is reassuring I am not the only one with this dilemma. Blessings and happy painting! 😉

Oh you aren’t alone! I don’t have much luck with paint stripping stuff either. We went for the big guns this time and used an electric sander. But even so, there’s just nothing you can do to hide cheap cabinets, at least you have the craftsmanship. You got a new counter-top how nice! I wish I could, that would really help the esthetics of the kitchen, but mine is permanently attached to the cabinets. It’s either tear out everything or make do. Maybe someday the bathrooms will get done…. but that’s a whole new story! ha ha

• We love old homes and ours is 132 yrs old, and has many additions and things added to it like electric lights and plumbing. The family who had this house put in all top of the art stuff, we actually still have some original wiring in the basement. The bad thing about that is about 4 yrs ago everything started to go…so we are basically rebuilding our house!! ha ha Whoever works on our house comments that whoever installed all this stuff was ahead of their time…good for them, bad for us! 😉 But we can’t complain we have been here 23 yrs and no problems until everything went at once. 😦 Eventually we will get the house done and then move into something smaller!! LOL

After all that work you’re going to move? I hope you plan to enjoy your hard work before that happens. 🙂

5. I love that color! 🙂

6. Hey Lady! Looking good!!!! I like the color too. The best thing is still your corral rail dividing the kitchen from the living room. How cool of an idea. 🙂

I know, cool huh? I can’t take credit for that, it was here when we bought the house. What a huge improvement to open up that kitchen, I like how it opens up the whole living area.

they are looking really lovely, Amy. What an all consuming job that is to re-do tons and tons of cabinets. good luck!

One at a time, as long as it doesn’t mess up the kitchen to bad I don’t mind. Every night everything is cleaned up and put away. We aren’t in any hurry.

8. bulldogsturf says:

Love what you’ve done so far…

9. kford2007 says:

Good luck. We refurbished our kitchen several years ago at a similar cost. Maybe you can watch some DYI shows on HGTV to get ideas.