Chickens Belong Outdoors

I thought I’d seen it all, until I ran across THIS on the My Pet Chicken website. It’s not a joke, it’s for real, and just for the record… I do not agree with this or any other item that promotes indoor living of poultry.

This entry was posted in Managing the Flock and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Chickens Belong Outdoors

1. Ingrid says:

I’m speechless 😉

Doesn’t surprise me a bit!! There are so many strange things that people do, just need to go looking to find them. If you dare!

3. Are you kidding me? :-O

4. omg! cant beleive any one would want to do that!!!???

5. shadowlilies says:

Haha…that’s unbelievable!

While I’m hereI have a couple of chicken questions for you. You have such a great blog with so much info! I was looking through your incredible list of chicken things and didn’t find an answer. It’s about molting. There are lots of feathers all over my chick coop. They are about 3 months old now. Do you know if that is normal?

Also, I really would like to get Aracaunas or Ameraucanas, but the real thing. What is your experience with these? Which one would you suggest? Have you ordered from any of the breeders listed in the Ameraucana Breeders Club? Just wanting some first hand knowledge and you are so knowledgeable about so many things… Thanks.

Araucanas/Ameraucanas… same difference, not sure what you mean by the real thing. No matter what you want to call them, today there is only one type available… and they are called Easter Eggers at most hatcheries. Whatever name people use, most hatcheries don’t even sell standard Ameraucanas, only Easter Eggers. Easter Eggers are common, Standard Ameraucanas are very rare. We all call them Ameraucanas, but technically they aren’t.
      They are a good choice, and good laying hens. Good size eggs and they are consistent, at least every other day. However, they are not a very friendly bird, not aggressive… aloof best describes. Cold and heat hardy. You should be able to get these birds almost anywhere that sells chicks. I’ve ordered them from Murray McMurray and Ideal Poultry, both with no problems.

Molting… some pullets will skip the first molting, some not. Either way is fine even if they are 3 months old.

• shadowlilies says:

I think I got confused reading your post about Ameracaunas…”While many hatcheries claim to sell Ameraucanas or Araucanas, nearly none of them do. Most sell mutt Easter Eggers.” I’m glad I asked as I was thinking you meant that one has to be careful when buying from hatcheries.

Thanks, there’s so much to learn.

It’s totally fine to buy from hatcheries, it’s the best way to get exactly what you want. They also come sexed, so you have little worries that you have a rooster if all you wanted were hens. Problem is, often hatcheries have a 25 chick minimum… and they ship at certain times of the year. To be perfectly honest, I buy local from Craig’s list. ha ha! Easier, just have to be patient in finding the birds you want. Ameraucana would probably be a piece of cake! Have fun!

About Ameraucanas: https://tbnranch.com/2012/04/23/ameraucana-araucana-or-easter-egger/