Fly Predators, Natural Pest Control

Flies, flies, and more flies. Flies in the barn, flies in the chicken yard, and now those pesty buggers are showing their ugly face on the back porch. Why, why, why?  There is NO horse manure on the property that isn’t contained, and all pens and yards are cleaned twice a day.  Every friday all manure is completely hauled off the ranch to the city dump.

I’ve used fly traps, sticky tape, sprays, pesticides, and whatever else there is, but nothing works.  Horse fly spray runs about $20 a bottle, it works, but it has to be applied at the very least, daily. Not only is fly spray expensive if you own multiple horses, but it’s also a time consuming chore. Most horses aren’t big fans of being sprayed with stinky pesticides, and I’m not thrilled with wearing the back-spray of Pyrethrins either.

In my attempt to find an effective way to manage flies, I stumbled upon Spalding Laboratories, the Place with No Fly Know How. Their approach to fly control is by using fly predators.  This website is very informative, and after taking their test to determine my ranch’s specific needs, I can purchase my very own army of fly predators for less than $150 a year. In my opinion, that’s a bargain price if it buys thousands of ranch hands!

What are Fly Predators?

Fly Predators are nature’s own enemy of all common manure and rotting organic matter breeding pest flies, including the common house fly, horn fly, biting stable fly and lesser house fly. Continue Reading

Will it work? I don’t know! But I think it’s worth a try.

Gallery | This entry was posted in Horse Informative, Managing the Flock and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Fly Predators, Natural Pest Control

1. Pathfinder Pursuits says:

When I had lived in New Mexico and had all the horse manure hauled off regularly, I had trouble getting the fly predators going. It did not seem to work to put them in the stalls. Now I live in Pennsylvania and have a larger manure pile which is turned and composted. The predators do great. Will watch for your update on how it works!

2. Lynda says:

I too will be looking forward to hearing how well this works! Thanks, Amy!

We’ve noticed more flies this year and they seem smarter. How do they know what an electric fly zapper that looks like a tennis racket is?

4. trishatipton says:

Interesting! I will have to look into that. I’ve just been spreading Diatomaceous Earth around and in the chicken houses. I did notice some improvement but that sounds like a better natural alternative!

The website also gave great info on WHERE to place fly traps so they are most effective. I followed their instructions OMG what an improvement!

5. We use fly predators. Last year was our first year. They helped, but were only part of what we used. They couldn’t do it on their own. We also used some herbal spray directly on the cow and sticky strips. I’ve heard that the more years you use them the more effective they are (perhaps they establish themselves on the property? I don’t know). This is our second season and our first batch just arrived. We are hoping they are more effective this year so we wont have to use other measures.

Yes, I think other measures will be helpful too. Great to learn others are using this, thanks! I’ve thinned the herd quite a bit, hopefully these little critters can handle the job. Oh, they aren’t gross are they? I hate bugs, can you see them?

• They come in a clear sided bag with a bunch of sawdust in it. They are in casings so they look kind of like seeds in the sawdust. You wait a few days until you can see several that have hatched moving around in the bag. They look like little tiny flying bugs. Once several have hatched, you take the bag and pour it out where you need it. We usually split it, half on each of our two manure piles.

6. Certainly worth a try – interested to hear how it goes.