Our Saguaro Cactus

Next to this beautiful leaning Saguaro Cactus weighing a billion pounds,

Mighty Saguaro

Is this…  my 2010 teeny tiny Mini Cooper.

2010 Mini Cooper

Talk about a disaster waiting to happen. Monsoon is just around the corner, bringing 60 mile an hour winds, if it fell on my car it would be flattened like a pancake!

There are laws here to protect the Saguaros, so it has to stay or be transplanted somewhere else. I’m figuring that would cost about as much as that car! Considering it’s size, I doubt if it could be moved at all. Moving the car sounds like a better plan. I might be saving the Mini, but I’m told a Saguaro that size costs $1,500 to have hauled away if it falls over. Yikes! Well, if it doesn’t fall across the driveway, I think it’s going to end up being a permanent lawn ornament.

More concerning than my car is the fact that if just one arm of that cactus fell on a person they would be killed, but… Saguaros are protected by law. Hmmm… strange priorities.

FYI: Owning Protected Plant Species

The native plant law requires that a person must have a permit to be in possession of any protected native plant taken from its habitat. Moreover, it is unlawful to destroy or mutilate any protected native plant.

This entry was posted in Arizona Living and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Our Saguaro Cactus

1. Susan says:

My sister had a cactus fall over on her car two months ago! It was a 2-door civic and the trunk was seriously damaged from the fall. AND, my parents just moved to this luxury Tucson real estate community called The Residences and they have a tall one in their backyard too! Their website even talks about “Desert Living” to give people a heads up — http://theresidencesdovemountain.com/location/desert-living.php — but thankfully my parents cactus looks strong and healthy hehe. Best to keep your car away from that huge beast of a saguaro 🙂

2. What's Going on at Mumsy's says:

That is one huge cactus. Good idea to move your car instead of the cactus. I hope it never falls over on your driveway. Sounds as if the best thing is for everyone to stay as far away from it as possible. Hugs

3. bulldog says:

That’s one big cactus… and it seems to have holes in it or is that just marks on the tree.??… I’d move the mini. or fit it with a dozer blade that when and if the cactus falls over you can pish it out the way… A lot of the cacti that grow here when the fall over and die, dry out and become a fibrous mass that is actually quite light and easy to move… I wonder if this is not the same.??

It is the same, there is value in the skeletons, I’ll look into that if it ever falls over. The holes are what we call bird condos. Many birds peck holes in the cactus to make a nest… then they all fight over the same hole.

4. Make sure your insurance is up to date! LOL

Perhaps a little wall or rocks to help steady it? And absolutely move the mini. I just came across an old newspaper article where the various railroads offerred to send a carload of giant cactus to the Chicago World’s fair in 1892, free of charge.

Last summer I paid a professional a small fortune to have wire cables supported in concrete to support the cactus… the cactus pulled out the concrete. I tried.

6. Littlesundog says:

Good heavens! I had no idea they were so huge… and protected! Well, I hope that thing is study and outlives you!

I wonder how old it is, I’m thinking probably 100 years old to be that big. Seems anything that old ought to be respected, it’s like an icon of the Old West!