We are Not Immune

TBN Ranch Property Appraisal

IMG_2348

TBN Ranch, Phoenix, Arizona

Visit the Ranch

I see the effects of our struggling economy in the business districts, hear of foreclosures, and see short sale signs in every neighborhood. Husband and I both lost our jobs in the last three years, but we found work before our stability was threatened.

It never dawned on us that the hardships around us could indirectly affect us. We turned a blind eye and considered ourselves lucky. But I’m finding out that staying afloat in the rough waters of real estate is just one big wave away from a sinking ship.

Fourteen years ago we bought an average residential 3 bedroom home for pretty cheap, flipped it with sizable profit and bought our ranch.  It was purchased at LESS than fair market value.  We considered it a wise investment with intention to sell in 10 years. Well, it’s 10 years, and I had it appraised Saturday. How disappointing!

It was a sad day for us to learn that all our hard work and expensive property  improvements did absolutely nothing for the value… actually it’s worth substantially less. Although we survived the crash, there’s no running from the chain reaction of negative events it created. We are not immune. OUCH.

Now What?

We refinanced, and will ride the storm out on our little ranch. TBN’s future is undecided, and so is ours. Nothing good ever comes from greed anyway, there’s obviously a better plan we’ve yet to see. Until then, we are grateful to have a place to hang our hats.

The Original Plan to Sell and Why…

TBN Ranch Sunrise

TBN Ranch

The ranch property is my thing, my husband prefers the city life. We decided to share the best years of our life enjoying both lifestyles. We bought the ranch with intention to sell, earning enough profit to buy our way into a loft or high-rise condo right in the heart of the city. Coffee shops, shopping, book stores, all within walking distance, the whole nine yards of city conveniences.

It was a perfect plan for us to experience two very different lifestyles. And, after ten years of working this ranch, retiring to an easier lifestyle would certainly be appealing to me!

Greed’s a funny thing, and I can’t help but remember what my mother once told me…

“You can’t always have what you want, what’s important is having what you need.”

True. 😦

amy elizabeth, writer, author. Lives in the northeastern reaches of the Sonoran Desert on a small hobby farm. Raises laying hens.
This entry was posted in amy elizabeth, Writer, Arizona Living and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to We are Not Immune

1. Pingback: Simplify, A Better Plan | TBN Ranch

2. A New Path says:

I hear you about farm work- as I get older I think about moving to a condo or RV and not having any chores. Can you get away on a vacation to get out of the farm chore rut? I have to go to the city or some nature place (like the ocean) to recharge…the way I used to go visit a farm to recharge when I lived in the city! Good luck with your new plan. You never know…maybe it will work out to be better than you could have planned.

The chores do get old don’t they? No, I haven’t been on a vacation in 10 years, it’s almost impossible to find affordable help to manage this place while we are gone. Last time I checked it was $150 a day just for the livestock… then there’s dogs to add to the tab. Oh my. So sometimes I go alone on short two day trips while my husband stays home… WTH!

3. Knowing you over the past 20 years, I’ve learned that you like to move around. I could never handle change that well…. even when it’s someone else who is doing the changing and not me. I would be sad if you sold your ranch…. and before I even had the chance to see it in person.

4. Despite everything, you have a beautiful home filled with a lot of love. 🙂

Sorry to hear of your disappointment. There must be a reason. My thought is I can’t imagine you in a condo. Yes, life might be easier is some ways but people are usually more stressful than animals.

6. You have the Lord my friend, what more is there to need. “Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?” You’ll do just fine 🙂

7. Charito says:

I agree, having lived in a condo and a ranch, it’s ranch for me all the way! My condo experience was a living nightmere! I ended up just walking away from it. Everything happens for a reason. I am happily ensconced in my casita in the “camp” in south central Mexico. I hate even going to the “city” to buy my groceries. Give me the slow plodding repetative task on my ranch any day!

• Charito says:

I had a perfect little 400sq ft condo on the pool. It had a cute little garden in front of my door. I was sited for putting a birdbath and hanging plants on by patio. I was sited for excessive barking dog….I had a service dog that was NEVER permitted to bark under any circumstance and he never left my side. I had a cardiac episode and while in the hospital the condo changed my designated handicapped parking spot to a 15 min loading spot , had my van towed and had me ticketed for parking violation. My new handicap parking place was SIX buildings away! The pool……it was wonderful untill they changed the condo to a condo-hotel! For spring break they were renting the 400 sq ft condos to spring breakers at 17 people to a condo. Needless to say the pool was full of drunken sex crazed teens. Now the resident perv. There was a resident who regularly jerked off on my bedroom window leaving his joyful deposit for me to scrape off the window several times a week. He was finally caught in the act 7 months after I moved out. The association would do nothing with my complaints, police reports and fotos. I was assaulted by another resident for the hammering noise and electric sawing we were making at 3pm on a Sat while putting shelving in our storage closet. Mind you we had to submit a writtn plan 6 weeks before we actually did anything. It took a letter from the mayor, firedepartment and my DR. to change the swing of my front door so I could get out safely in an emergency situation, that took 6 months to recieve a decision. We were flooded on several occasions from the sprinkler system and were held liable for the damages. I paid $113,900 for the condo guess what it sold for? $58,000. This was in an exclusive part of Clearwater Beach, Florida. I srongly advise do not buy a condo! I have friends with worse storys! Charito

Holy cow! What a giant disaster. Geez, after all that you lost your ass on the resale! I’m sorry you had to go through all that. Well, thanks for giving us something to think about concerning our future plans. A condo is looking grim. ha ha

Funny you mentioned the repetitive tasks on your ranch… that is what seems to have me in a rut. Today I’m taking the time to find a way to simplify things, sometimes I think I make more work for myself.

8. bulldog says:

Oh I hope you ride out the storm and see your way to reach your old plans…

9. I’m sorry you’ve been affected too. We’re in Canada and Hubby’s been laid off three jobs do to shutdowns. He’s presently out of work. You know when you said you were looking at moving to a Condo, I cringed, they are horrible to live in. Maybe you’ve been in them before, I’m not sure, but if not, they’re awful. I hope to never be in one again. I wish you all the very best. xo

Awful?? You have my attention… why?

• It’s like it’s never your own place. There are so many rules and regulations. I’ve lived in three unfortunately and I hated it every time. The last one we were in, people needed knew windows and weren’t allowed in their own place to get them until the entire building needed them. There there is the work that’s done that when it is, everyone has to pay for over and above condo fee’s…it’s really brutal. If you do any hosting, parking is always an issue. There’s more..

Wow, maybe this whole thing was a blessing in disguise! You gave us a lot to think about. Fees, you’re right they are pricey, and there’s nothing I hate worse than unexpected expenses. Parking….. hmmm, we have three vehicles, that’s probably going to be a problem too. Oh my. Thanks for the heads up!

• You’re welcome, you know I was going to mention that maybe it was a blessing in disguise, but I didn’t want you to feel like I was being a jerk. Oh wow three vehicles…you would have to pay for every extra parking spot after on likely if you can an extra one.

Pay for parking spots, really? OMG, I’m already getting stressed out about condo living and I’m not even in one. ha ha! Thanks friend.

• I’m sorry I stressed you out! Yes in all three I’ve lived in it’s been a big issue.

Enjoy your ranch 😉